Some sports leagues have announced tentative plans for opening up sports again. Meanwhile, the South Point Casino and Spa in Las Vegas announced that they will be launching sports betting in the casino and online through a mobile app.
The app will be known as the South Point Sports app for mobile sports betting. The sprawling casino, hotel and spa announced the news via their social media platforms declaring, “Breaking News, Sports Betting is back, quarantine style. Our drive-through betting station is launching May 6th!”
The South Point Casino has been in operation since December of 2005. This is the first casino in the world to offer a drive-thru to place a sports bet.
Customers and guests can create their sports betting accounts at the front entrance of the massive casino, in the valet area. The area is open from 11 am to 6 pm daily as of Wednesday.
The entire process will be done from the guest’s car, setting up their account, and then driving through the drive-up window to place their bets.
Dealing With The Virus Head On With No-Contact Betting
Once a guest sets up their mobile account, they no longer need to be at the physical location to place a sports bet. To set up a sports betting account at South Point, a guest has to be 21 or older with a valid ID.
The drive-thru station launch date was planned for May to be able to handle action for NASCAR and UFC for previously announced May events. The two leagues are among the first to have events again after the worldwide pandemic made the sports world stand still.
This week is “National Travel and Tourism Week,” and several Las Vegas landmarks will be lit up in red throughout the week to honor the thousands of hospitality workers who have been sidelined through the virus. The South Point Casino and Spa has hired back a staff of employees to handle the sports betting operation.
The casino and hotel has 2,163 rooms that have been empty for the last six weeks. There is over 80,000 square feet of floor space to accommodate the massive gaming areas.
The South Point also has a huge entertainment complex that has a 16-screen Cinemark theater complex and a state-of-the-art equestrian center that attracts serious riders from all over the world.
Las Vegas Mayor Ready To Reopen Strip
In late April, Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman said, “a total lock-down has been total insanity.” Goodman talked to MSNBC and said it’s time for everyone to go back to work, not just in Vegas but everywhere.
Goodman said, “You have to assume everyone is a carrier and act with the proper protocols, but keeping things shut down is going to cause a lot more problems than the virus.”
Goodman, who faced an enormous amount of backlash from people, doubled down on her remarks. “We can’t be stuck inside forever. It’s time to move on,” she said.
With or without the ok from health officials, she will start to open the city and state back up soon. She clarified her remarks by saying, “What I assume is that everyone is a carrier. That 100% of our population is asymptomatic, but a carrier.”
She also added that the hospitality industry supplies the Las Vegas and Nevada state economies with 75% of their taxable income. Goodman went on to say that the people of Nevada and Las Vegas have been put through enough. That we must continue to fight the virus, but allow employees to get back to work.