The Best Poker News Story of the Day
In the most recent development in the edge-sorting case between the poker superstar Phil Ivey and Atlantic City Borgata Casino, the court has given the green light to Borgata to…
The Pentagon has an interesting new employee. Libratus, the AI poker bot who won $1.8 million in chips from four professional poker players, will be drafted into the American military…
It’s been over two years since Phil Galfond, one of the best-known faces in the high stakes online poker community, announced his plans to launch a new, player-focused online poker site….
Two poker players recently found themselves in one of the strangest prop bets in poker history, as Rory Young had bet Rich Alati that he wouldn’t be able to tough…
Dave “The Devilfish” Ulliott has been one of the most influential and entertaining players in the poker world, credited for helping poker gain popularity across Europe. Even after his untimely…
We’re barely into 2019, and the American online poker market has seen a flurry of activity. Lawmakers in various states have been busy trying to legalize and regulate the game,…
Long gone are the days of poker boom when everybody and their dog were looking to poker as a way to “make it in life.” Over the years, games have…
Poker tournaments come in all shapes and sizes but those with a buy-in venturing into the five-figures’ territory are usually reserved for the “big fish.” Events that cost $25,000 to…
Several days ago, World Series of Poker officials have published the preliminary WSOP 2019 schedule. Although this is far from a complete list, the schedule provides very good insights into…
2018 has been an exciting year in the poker world. We’ve seen some thrilling tournaments and several new players rise to fame – but, on the other side of the…
Pot Limit Omaha has long been the contender for the throne, competing with the most popular poker variation that is Texas Hold’em. However, due to its complexity, Omaha has never…
Bovada, a well-known online gambling brand, offering poker, casino, and sports betting, has announced they will be opening their doors to players from New York State once again. Bovada is…
While former world heavyweight David Haye won his first-ever professional boxing match in 2002, his poker career has not gotten off to nearly as good of a start. After retiring…
Kicking off on Halloween, October 31, this year’s High Five tournament series on America’s Cardroom will last until November 4 and will feature a grand total of $1.5 million in guaranteed prizes…
Virtual reality is becoming a major trend in the wider gaming market. PC and console game developers have been experimenting with the technology for years, and online poker companies are…
Long gone are the days of great poker shows like High Stakes Poker and Poker After Dark. These televised games, which used to attract the best of the best playing…
Although we’ve heard the talk about poker dying and not losing its popularity over the past couple of years, numbers don’t seem to agree. This year’s World Championship of Online…
The summer leg of the World Series of Poker is behind us but we still have some Series action ahead of us this year. Namely, the WSOP Europe 2018 is…
Short Deck or 6+ Hold’em has been gaining a lot of popularity lately, threatening to become the next big thing in the poker world. Its popularity was seriously boosted by…
An overwhelming number of cryptocurrency projects have popped up on the heels of Bitcoin’s ascendance and the ease of creating Ethereum-based smart tokens. With some similarities and some distinctive features,…
A big part of playing winning poker is being able to fold your bad hands before the flop. Sometimes, this can mean you don’t play a single hand for an…
The biggest buy-in tournament of the WSOP 2018 finished a few days ago. It was Justin Bonomo who took the prestigious first place in the $1,000,000 Big One for One Drop…
Justin Bonomo has had a great summer in Las Vegas, and in the early morning hours of today, he rounded things up with a win in the $1,000,000 Big One…
Busting out of the Main Event just before the final table is one of the biggest heartbreaks in poker, even though that unlucky player usually gets to take home a…
It’s been a long time since one player managed to seize two Main Event titles. The last man who made it happen was Johnny Chan who went back to back…
The biggest poker tournament of the year, the World Series of Poker Main Event, is well under way, as there are were just 310 players remaining after yesterday’s Day 4…
The 2018 edition of the World Series of Poker is well underway. We’ve already seen more than 60 players add a WSOP bracelet to their resumes – some doing it…
In case you’ve somehow missed it, the player currently sitting on top of the all-time tournament winners’ list Daniel ‘KidPoker’ Negreanu has joined Masterclass to offer his very own poker…
Although the WSOP Main Event is widely regarded as the World Championship of poker, many believe that the $50,000 Players Championship is the most prestigious event of the Series. This…
A few nights ago, one of the biggest legends of the poker world, Doyle Brunson, the man often referred to as “Godfather of Poker,” announced he was playing his last…
- 1 The Best Poker News Story of the Day
- 1.1 Borgata Gets Green Light to Go After Ivey’s Nevada Assets
- 1.2 Pentagon Hires AI Poker Robot for Army War Game Training
- 1.3 Run It Once Poker Site Goes Live in Open Beta
- 1.4 Prop Bet Sends Poker Player into Solitary Confinement
- 1.5 Devilfish Documentary Coming Later This Month
- 1.6 Big Things Are Happening for US Poker Legislation in 2019
- 1.7 Poker Dream Lives: PSPC Qualifier Bags Staggering $5.1 Million
- 1.8 PokerStars Players Championship the Biggest Ever $25,000 Event
- 1.9 Start Planning Now: Preliminary WSOP 2019 Schedule Is Out
- 1.10 2018: A Year of Goodbyes in the Poker World
- 1.11 PokerStars Blends Hold’em & Omaha to Create Fusion Poker
- 1.12 Bovada Re-opens to Players from New York State
- 1.13 David Haye’s Big Bust: A Study in Poker Coaching
- 1.14 ACR High Five 420-Themed Series Featuring $1.5 Million in Guarantees
- 1.15 Virtual Reality Poker on the Way from PokerStars
- 1.16 High Stakes Triton Cash Games: Bringing Excitement Back in Poker
- 1.17 WCOOP 2018 Proves Poker Is Still Well & Thriving
- 1.18 WSOP Europe 2018 Set to Kick Off in a Week’s Time
- 1.19 ACR Starts Offering 6+ (Short Deck) Hold’em Tables
- 1.20 HEROcoin Could be the Answer to Online Poker’s Trust Problem
- 1.21 PokerStars Introduces UNFOLD Hold’em: Rabbit Hunting Is Mandatory!
- 1.22 A Curious Case of an Exposed Ace in the 2018 WSOP Big One for One Drop
- 1.23 Justin Bonomo Wins One Drop for $10,000,000, Tops All Time Money List
- 1.24 2018 WSOP Main Event Winner Gets Satisfaction for Disappointing 2016 Finish
- 1.25 Joe Cada Makes 2018 Main Event Final Table: 2009 Champion Going for it Again
- 1.26 WSOP 2018 Main Event Down to Last 200: Largest Field in Last 12 Years
- 1.27 Quest for New Champion Begins: WSOP 2018 Main Event Kicks Off Tonight
- 1.28 Daniel Negreanu MasterClass: Is It a Great Opportunity to Learn Poker?
- 1.29 Michael Mizrachi Makes History: Third WSOP Players Championship Title
- 1.30 Doyle Brunson’s “Last WSOP Tournament” Tweet Creates Some Confusion
- 2 Poker News FAQs
- 2.1 Why follow your poker news instead of the big guys?
- 2.2 Do you cover online poker news?
- 2.3 Do you provide updated poker news for US players?
- 2.4 What about news on the US poker legal front?
- 2.5 Does Beat The Fish cover tournament poker news?
Poker News FAQs
Why follow your poker news instead of the big guys?
The poker news section is populated with stories that I feel will mostly likely matter to you as a player. What does that mean exactly?
Firstly, no one is going to top the big teams and massive coverage at the namesake poker news site anytime soon. They’ve largely perfected it and every day you can find straightforward reporting on dozens of poker news minutiae.
That’s not what I want to do with Beat The Fish Poker News. Tapping myself and a small team of experienced news writers I want to narrow the focus of poker news, bringing players the most significant stories of the week with personality.
What type of poker news will I find here?
Essentially, I want to give players the type of poker news coverage I look for myself.
- New Events Coming to This Year’s WSOP Schedule
- US state passes bill regulating online poker
- Results from the latest WSOP bracelet event
- High-stakes online winners and losers
- Poker pro wins lawsuit against cardroom
I don’t like to wade through dozens of insignificant stories to get to the ones about the biggest high-stakes games of the week, the newest laws affecting US players, and the results of the biggest tournaments of the year. I want to give you the wheat without the chaff.
The Internet is information overload incarnate and big poker news sites are no different. Let us hand-pick the stories you’ll want to know to stay informed about the poker world. We promise to minimize the time spent in front of your eyeballs.
Poker news you won’t find here
- 37-year-old plumber wins Indiana Poker Circuit Main Event for $6,850
- PokerStars set to add 451st tournament to daily schedule
- Daniel Negreanu Tweets that he likes New Star Wars Movie
- Bottomfeeder Poker Announced New Rakeback Scheme
Do you cover online poker news?
Absolutely, and with online poker sites keeping players in the dark by design getting current online poker news could save your bankroll.
Who is launching that you want to know about? Who is having trouble paying players? Who is running a promotion unique enough that you will actually care about it?
Making a list of minor self-serving promos isn’t news. It’s advertisement. That isn’t the kind of online poker news you’ll find in this space.
Do you provide updated poker news for US players?
Yes, and it will be a major focus. The night the UIGEA passed in 2006 I turned off C-SPAN in disgust (I guarantee that’s the only time you’ll see me write that phrase) and became devoted to poker news for US players
I knew how important information was going to be – getting facts directly to players that cut through the misinformation all over the media.
I also think US poker news is the only way to keep current players updated as to what the status is of where they’re playing. The poker sites aren’t going to tell you when they are in trouble.
What about news on the US poker legal front?
As select US states have finally realized what the federal government hasn’t, namely that online poker should be regulated and taxed, an entire subset of poker news can be devoted to legal news.
The latest regulated US poker news on which states have introduced new legislation, the latest numbers and studies, which poker rooms are launching, and which corrupt politicians are attacking our favorite game are all included in our coverage.
Does Beat The Fish cover tournament poker news?
Yes, although not in the same way as the poker media heavyweights. We cover the most essential tournament poker news without filler, from the bracelet events of the World Series of Poker to the largest online events.