BetMGM announced its inaugural Online Poker Series that will take place in Michigan. Although its site went live just a couple of weeks ago, the gambling giant is already preparing to set off the online poker season for Michigan players.
Powered by Partypoker technology, BetMGM Poker will host the series consisting of ten events. Every evening, from April 18 to April 25, players will partake in tournaments. The buy-in for the events ranges from $20 to $535, while two events even feature a $75k guarantee.
BetMGM Launched Online Poker in Michigan Mid-March
Just over a month after the first PokerStars online poker room went live in Michigan, a second option has emerged. BetMGM launched an online poker platform offering real money games and tournaments and enticing new player bonuses and promotions.
Given that BetMGM online casino and sportsbook went live in January, it was only a matter of time before the popular gambling brand launched a poker room.
Even though the launch went smoothly, the first week was slow and barely made a dent in the competitor’s lead. Luckily, BetMGM poker room had a great weekend, and it picked up the pace.
BetMGM Inaugural Online Poker Series Schedule
According to the schedule, the BetMGM Series will host one Pot-Limit Omaha event, while the remaining ones are a No-Limit Hold’Em. The series will also feature two progressive knockout events.
The 10-event online poker series will follow this schedule:
- Event No. 1: $200 + $15 buy-in NLHE 8-Max Sunday Special Unlimited $75k guaranteed
- Event No. 2: $200 + $15 buy-in NLHE 8-Max PKO Bounty $20k guaranteed
- Event No. 3: $100 + $9 buy-in PLO 6-Max $10k guaranteed
- Event No. 4: $200 + $15 buy-in NLHE 8-Max $25k guaranteed
- Event No. 5: $200 + $15 buy-in NLHE 8-Max 40-Stack $20k guaranteed
- Event No. 6: $300 + $20 buy-in NLHE 8-Max PKO Bounty $25k guaranteed
- Event No. 7: $200 + $15 buy-in NLHE 6-Max $25k guaranteed
- Event No. 8: $18.50 + $1.50 buy-in NLHE 8-Max Mini $5k guaranteed
- Event No. 9: $100 +$9 buy-in NLHE 8-Max ½-price Sunday $20k guaranteed
- Event No. 10: $500 + $35 buy-in NLHE 8-Max Sunday Special — $75k guaranteed.
Compared to the PokerStars Michigan Championship of Online Poker (MICOOP) that held 60 events, this is a much smaller venture. The total guarantee amounts to $300k — less than a quarter of what the competitor offered.
BetMGM Has Fierce Competitors to Fight Off
Michigan launched online casinos and mobile sports betting in January at the same time. Online poker followed just a week later. Given that there are millions of poker enthusiasts, gambling giants will fight ferociously to take the lead and claim the biggest market share.
Although it might take some time to get close to its number one competitor, BetMGM Michigan still has the upper hand compared to its New Jersey market share. BetMGM entered the NJ market after WSOP; however, that isn’t the case with its Michigan launch.
While the BetMGM inaugural series seems like a good start, the company will need to develop a stronger strategy in the upcoming months, especially when WSOP plans a launch.